Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Adding To Your Services

A few weeks ago, a client asked me to create a PowerPoint Presentation. While we discussed what he wanted to include, he made a comment about my voice. He wanted a voiceover for his presentation and said my voice sounded very nice on the phone. Could I record the voiceover for him? Was that too difficult to add to my services, he asked?

“Well, no, Bob, it is not too difficult,” I began. My former career was as a musical theater actor. With my formal vocal training, I was the perfect candidate. I ended up writing the script before recording it, and now I am simply attaching the audio to the presentation. When it is finished, my client will end up getting a great product for a serious bargain. You see because these skills were things I already knew how to do and do well, I was able to offer them to the client at a serious deal. Since there were fewer contractors involved, fewer steps saved a lot of time - and money.

I have spoken about diversifying your writing business before, but have you tried it? Think about the skills you have in your own repertoire. They do not have to be writing skills. Maybe you have a special interest or talent. Can you offer that expertise to a specific market? For example, were you raised on a horse farm or are you restoring a vintage car? Maybe you can write for an auto association or for a magazine devoted to showing horses.

Make a list of all of the things you like to do -or did - in a previous career. In this economic climate, many unemployed workers are reinventing themselves. Why not be one of them? Add to the services you provide as a writer. It never hurts to offer a benefit to your clients while enjoying your day just a little bit more.

No comments:

Post a Comment