Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Stepping Out of the Frame


Sometimes it is good to step aside from your usual work and do something different. When I was asked to direct a children’s production at a local elementary school, I was not surprised. Before becoming a writer, I was a professional musical theatre actress and some people in my hometown remember. At the time, I could not imagine doing anything else for my life’s work. I trudged to auditions, humming or all-out singing down 42nd Street in preparation for any number of auditions, or taking the tiny part so I could work with the people who might offer me the bigger parts one day. To put it simply, I was driven and heading to Broadway. Due to a few decisions, I ended up changing gears, returning to college, and pursuing another love, writing. I have not looked back and cannot honestly say I miss working in musical theatre, though I hope to be on this side of the stage someday writing a great musical.

With that said, I was always taught one should ‘give back’ to the communities that nurtured them. When someone asks me to direct a school production, I usually try to fit it into my schedule, no matter how tight that schedule may be. I feel our children should get our absolute best. If I am the best person at the time to help them put on their yearly Drama Club production, I make it happen.

Last night, I was reminded why I do this. What looked essentially as a ragtag team of overactive 9-year-olds a few months ago turned into a cast last night. They remembered to slow down when they were speeding up, they made up lines when they freaked out and forgot what they were supposed to say, and the technical crew worked together to move sets before the lights came up on each scene. I am as proud of them as I would be of my own children.

I’ll have to remember this last bit when the tech crew asks if they need makeup before they go backstage (in the dark), when most of them forget who goes in which order during curtain calls and I have to grab a mic and call it out, or when the music starts before the children are even in the auditorium. No, tonight, when the curtain goes up, I will stand in the darkness doing what I do - helping them make the memories of their Fourth Grade Drama Club Production happy ones.

My hope is that everyone steps out of his or her day-to-day life every now and then to do something different. The joy you get in return may surprise you.

No comments:

Post a Comment