Monday, December 7, 2009

'Found My Peeps

I love my yearly writer’s conference. When I first attended the ASJA a few years ago, I came home refreshed and full of ideas. “I found my people,” I said to my husband as we walked to the car in the Metro North parking lot. During the those two days in New York, I meet others who are in the same boat, learn new tricks on how to promote myself or use some new form of technology, and usually come away with a connection to a job or an area in which I am interested.

Since I am a busy mommy of two younger boys, I also relish my peaceful nights in the hotel. I book an extra night in order to have a day in the city before the workshops and seminars begin the next day. As luck would have it, my brother lives in NYC, so the evening finds me sitting at a restaurant having a grown up meal with grown up conversation, too. If he is unavailable, that’s fine, too. There are a gazillion museums, shows and even room service if I have walked my feet off by the time dinner rolls around.

No, it is not easy being a freelance writer sometimes, but it can be very rewarding. Do you have a conference you attend no matter what? Which organization do you willingly fork over hundreds to soak in the culture of your peers? While I wait for feedback, I’m off to make my reservations.

No comments:

Post a Comment